If you suffer from insomnia, you will surely have tried many remedies, more or less natural, to put an end to this torture. Most of the time though it is stress and inability to relax when you go to bed, which generates a state of anxiety that does not allow you to sleep. Yoga can help you sleep better, always keeping in mind that it is not a competitive activity but a practice that allows you to relax and sleep better.
Yoga to relax your body
Yoga has beneficial effects on the body and mind and it is able to balance the breath and improve muscle tone. There are specific times to practice yoga at the best: in the morning when you wake up and in the evening before going to sleep. If we practice yoga in the morning we will have an invigorating and energizing effect on our body; in the evening, instead, yoga will serve to calm and relax tensions and fatigue accumulated during the day. Keep reading to know the recommended exercises to remove anxiety and nervousness, find yourself and spend a peaceful night without insomnia.
Yoga positions to sleep better
Practicing yoga is an excellent remedy for deep and refreshing sleep. The reasons are many and lie among the different benefits of the discipline: it helps to relax and relax the accumulated physical, mental and emotional tensions. It improves breathing and vital energy as well.
This is mainly because yoga calms the mind and body, making it easy for both of them to relax completely. Here are four yoga positions to remove anxiety and sleep better during the night:
- Sukhasana. The basic position, with the legs crossed and the palms of the hands, stretched out on the knees and thumb and forefinger joined together, is ideal for loosening tensions and relaxing. This yoga position requires focus on the breath that helps to let go of all the thoughts that do not make us rest well.
- Balasana. The position of the child allows to relieve tension and to loosen the muscles of the spine. Practiced before going to bed by breathing deeply helps our body to detoxify and prepare for the night.
- Viparita Karani. Considered to be one of the best anti-stress positions, it consists in lifting the legs leaning against a wall, and breathing deeply. In this way, the blood circulation is stimulated without any fatigue and the mind is emptied completely.
- Shavasana. Final meditation can be a great way to get ready for bed. It is necessary to practice it on the ground and not on the bed or on the sofa, as the back must be aligned with the surface that houses us so that the breath can synchronize and allow the thoughts to slip away.
Tips against insomnia
In addition to practicing yoga to sleep better, here are some tips to combat insomnia:
- Engaging in strenuous activities before going to bed does not solve your problem because if the body gets stimulated, it produces endorphins that instead of allowing relaxation operate in the opposite manner.
- For exactly the same reason as above, all activities requiring excessive concentration and/or the presence of electronic devices before going to bed could be harmful (TV, mobile phone, computer, etc.). It is better reading a good book before going to sleep.
- If you are looking for a natural remedy to be associated with yoga practice to sleep better, valerian or melatonin can do it for you. Ask your doctor for advice and for the best solution.
- A warm bath always helps to relax and takes care of yourself.
In addition to yoga, proper nutrition can also play a key role in better sleeping at night. Book a free nutritional consultation with our expert nutritionists and find out which are the best foods to fight insomnia.