Let’s talk about what initially seemed to be a passing trend and then turned out to be much more.
Indeed, the FMD (the Fasting Mimicking Diet) of Professor Valter Longo deserves to be seen in a larger scenario.
While it is true that interpretation is subjective, science and its results are rather objective!
Today, we are considering, in an objective way, the results of the research carried out by the Italian scientist in the epidemiological and clinical fields.
However, let’s start from the beginning!
Professor Longo applied his knowledge to medicine in the biochemical field.
A prolonged calorie restriction in mice, monkeys and humans has had positive effects to reduce certain types of diseases (diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases). Nevertheless, at the same time, it can expose our body, which is in a fragile condition, to collateral damages, which can be serious!
That is why the necessity of creating a method that not only ensures adequate nutrition, but it minimizes side effects as well.
FMD with ProLon® represents this method!
After years of research and clinical tests (because I repeat, before establishing some experimental results, the scientific method requires to perform all possible controls), the FMD aims at activating in our body, through a 5-day caloric restriction, a rejuvenation of the functional part.
Here are some results obtained on 100 patients:
- Loss of abdominal fat
- Reduction of blood glucose
- Reduced blood pressure (in people with low blood pressure, it still unchanged)
- Cholesterol reduction
- Reduction of IGF-1 (a hormone associated with the outbreak of tumors)
- Reduction of triglycerides
Not forgetting the results obtained on mice:
- Life extension of 11%
- Reduction of inflammatory skin disorders
- Rejuvenation of the immune system
- Better motor coordination
- Optimization of brain function
- Reduced tumor incidence (the FMD group was less likely to become ill and, when this occurred, the nature of the tumor was benign).
A FEW DETAILS
- During “partial fasting”, a temporary decrease in lean body mass occurs. It returns to the initial values when you go back to eat regularly. This temporary loss leads to muscle regeneration that also affects organs and the different systems. The FMD deceives our body into believing that it is fasting. Therefore, while eliminating unnecessary components, the stem cells promoting these processes are activated.
FMD – Cell regeneration
- The beneficial effects persist for months: it is shown for example that after 3 months from the end of a FMD cycle, the various changes affecting different areas of the body are still there at 60% and occur every time the protocol is applied.
- During 5 days, the body is in a state of ketosis, a process in which cells use alternative glucose substrates, i.e. ketones or fatty acids. For its measurement, it is better to contact a specialized laboratory.
- Several cycles of FMD, in a short period, are only recommended for people with weight issues or disease problems for which the doctor determines which cycle must be applied.
- The application of this periodic diet, in the event of a pathology, must be authorized by a specialist and must not be considered as substitution treatment, but possibly in combination with standard cures.
Studies on FMD in relation to certain diseases are constantly evolving. The data obtained so far gives us hope that a controlled periodic calorie restriction could be a new tool available in modern medicine to prevent and treat important diseases such as cancer and neurodegenerative diseases.
At the San Martino Hospital in Genoa, a study will begin not only on the different forms of Alzheimer’s, but also on chronic leukaemia!
Article written by: Francesca Florenzo